Saturday, February 12, 2011

Bayside :: Killing Time

     Bayside is my favorite band, of all time. I have branded my body with the bird and I am proud of it so all ya' haters can gtfo! I first started listening to Bayside in about 7th grade (2004) and I have never looked back. This punk quartet are the masterminds of such hits as "Devotion and Desire", "The Walking Wounded" and many many more. Since their inception in 2000 Bayside has been knowing for putting their hearts on their sleeves and always making music THEY want to make. This inspirational group has set the standard for making your way in the music industry without giving up who you really are. That is very apparent in their newest release "Killing Time" which will be released February 22 of this year on Wind Up Records. Many members of our good ol' cult were a little scared when Bayside switched records labels for the first time in seven years thinking their sound would change and they would not like the new record, but to be honest hasn't their sound changed a good amount from record to record anyway? I, my friends was not scared. I knew what ever Bayside put out would be solid because they are passionate about what they do and that is what makes a good record.
     So the first track on the record is "Already Gone" and it is an example of some classic Bayside. This song is intense. It is hard for bands to make a song that can be "in your face" at a medium tempo but these guys have never had a problem with that. The bass drum keeping a consistent 8th note pulse is really what kicks the song for me. I love it when a band can just pound the lower end into your ear. The same goes with bass guitar, the distortion mixed with the slick line really make this song BUMP! That's right, this Punk Rock track is bumpin! The riff is so class, the tone of the guitar has that signature Jack O'Shea feel and is really pleasing to the ears. Overall if you wanted to hear something you would expect from these guys, this is the song for you.
     The second track "Sick, Sick, Sick" sports the chorus of gods, this song was produced on Mt. Olympus most likely. The song starts of with a down beat from the snare drum and opens right up with the melody of the song. As these years have passed Anthony has definitely grown as a lyricist and that is truly present on this track. The lyrics are less "emo" than past records and I am fine with that. I love the old records just as much as this one but it's nice that the lyricism is broader and makes you think more. With past records I have gotten the point right away, and I really connected to them emotionally, but it is also awesome to think long and deep about what they have to say on this record. My cat Buddy just came into the room, daw!
     On to the fifth track of the record "Sinking and Swimming on Long Island" which is my favorite of the record as of now. This track starts out with a really cool beat from drummer Chris Guglielmo. Chris is one of those drummers that thinks simplicity is cool, and it's not because he can't play complicated stuff it's because he's awesome, ya dig? This song is connecting with me on deep level, ah such a good sign for the potential of this record. Being someone who has big hopes and aspirations just like the guys of Bayside I can really connect with the idea of working so hard to get nothing in return, which is how a lot of things in this world have come to be. The lyrics "The harder you work, the harder you fall. You wake up one day with nothing at all." are really hitting the spot right now. This song is an anthem for the average American trying to make their life what they want and sometimes it doesn't work out the way you want it so you damn it all to hell (heh) and try again and again.
     Overall I would definitely give this record a good 19 million listens like I have today. It has been on constant repeat all day and I have not gotten bored of it one bit, nor have I ever gotten bored with any Bayside record to date. This band is meant for confused teens like myself, which I am sure all of the members went through at some point as well. Why not listen to a band who is singing about your everyday struggles of the inner-self? There is NO reason not to. CULT.




-Adam

2 comments:

  1. Really love Bayside! can't wait for "killing time" 2/22. check out alter the press for an awesome acoustic session with the band!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Amanda, I will definitely check it out!
    -Adam

    ReplyDelete